Dramatic, innovative lighting solutions for your retail outlet will impact your bottom line with savings on the cost of electricity plus increased sales. It doesn’t matter if you are the owner of a high-end boutique or are responsible for the decisions governing a large chain store; there are ways of cutting back on your lighting costs while enhancing the shopping experience for your customers.
New Technologies Can Save Energy and Save You Money
Replace old, outdated fluorescent and incandescent lighting with cost-effective, low-voltage light emitting (LED) lamps and compact fluorescent lighting (CFL) to save money. The days are long past when the cost didn’t appear to be justified by the performance of this new type of lighting, which also suffered from the inability to handle such simple things as dimmer switches.
Today, LED and CFL lighting provide outstanding performance and dramatically lower costs that surpasses old fashioned lighting fixtures and lamps by every measure:
- CFL lighting costs more initially but will run on one-third of the electricity and emit 25% less heat—which also saves money on air conditioning.
- LED lamps last ten times longer than advanced CFL lamps and use one-thirtieth the amount of electricity of incandescent lamps!
- Design your retail space to take advantage of natural lighting with skylights and windows, and add sensors, dimmer switches and automatic controls for energy management.
You will soon recoup the investment of upgraded lighting by energy savings. As well, customers are impressed when retail outlets demonstrate good corporate citizenship and show they care about the environment. Let your customers and potential customers know that you are saving our natural resources by upgrading your retail lighting.
Use Innovative Lighting Design as an Important Marketing Tool
Innovative lighting means making the right choices for your general, ambient lighting, as well as for your accent, display and decorative lighting. Start with eye-catching window displays using a combination of up- and down-lighting, along with accent lighting to attract customers to your store.
With lighting that reinforces the identity of the store and establishes the mood for the target market, customers are welcomed at the entrance and guided through the store:
- The subdued ambient lighting with dramatic accent lighting emphasizes unique products for the high-end, upscale shopper.
- Effective sparkle and dazzling lighting effects display the latest, stylish, economical products for the youth market.
- Well-lit display cases with warm whites and red tones highlight safe, renewable and organic choices for the health-conscious grocery shopper.
- General, diffused, vertical light with accent lighting to draw attention to featured items makes the busy, middle-income buyer comfortable and able to find products and bargains in one easy-to-navigate department store.
Design Features Should be Based on the Individual Store
Choices of lighting fixtures and lamps should be based on the store’s architecture, style, size and target market. Clever lighting solutions and designs draw customers into the store, make it easy for them to find the products they want, allow them to examine and assess items that interest them and help them make purchase decisions.
Consider using a lighting expert to help you map out an affordable lighting design that will help you revitalize your store, change the mood, enhance your brand and establish a plan to implement it all at once or bit by bit as you please.
With sound, innovative lighting solutions, you can attract customers to your store, provide them with a safe, happy shopping experience and enable your staff to perform their tasks under optimum conditions. You can recoup your investment with updated LED and CFL lamps and fixtures that save energy and lower the cost of electricity and maintenance.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Lighting and Design and a clickable link back to this page.