LED lighting technology is creating improved retail, homeowner and municipal lighting solutions by leaps and bounds. No longer is light emitting diode (LED) lighting viewed as a second-rate lighting alternative imposed by governments to save natural resources; it is now widely accepted as an impressive replacement of old technology that saves money and provides superior lighting performance.
The LED Revolution Has Extended across All Sectors
Retail – Not only can retailers save money, they can economically transform shopping experiences in exciting ways with conversions that are less expensive than were available in the past:
- Customized Illumination – new, effective, high bay LED lighting is now available, with low-voltage, dimmable lighting which can be used in every location in every type of store.
- Shopping apps – In any retail outlet that uses location technology—WinkTM—embedded within fixtures throughout the store, customers using smart phones or tablets can receive personal messages and customized product information, relevant coupons or promotions based on shopping preferences and histories.
- Refrigeration and reach-in cooler doors – New lighting innovations for reach-in cooler doors and refrigerated showcases use lamps that provide light without unwanted heat to provide an amazing return on investment.
Exterior – Outdoor lighting can be more efficient and economical. Parking lots and walkways can be made to feel safer and with accident reduction. Combined with motion detection equipment, LED lighting provides economical lighting and reduces what were normally very expensive maintenance costs.
Street and road lighting as well as recreational area lighting can save substantial dollars for municipalities. The cost of the conversion is quickly recovered. For example, Phoenix AZ will save nearly $100,000 annually when the city completes its 95,000-fixture conversion to LED street and road lighting.
Link Bulbs – LinkTM bulbs—a GETM product—can help homeowners save money, customize lighting use and make unoccupied residences appear to be occupied. Consumers can install LinkTM LED lamps and, using the latest WinkTM app, can remotely control their home lighting from anywhere in the world. They can also sync with connected devices and eliminate the need for expensive add-ons.
The Latest LED Trends Have a Wide Range of Retail Applications
- General Lighting – General, or ambient, LED lighting can be geared to your store type—supermarket, discount, department, specialty, upscale or boutique—reinforce your brand identity, appeal to your target market, attract and keep your customers, guide them through your store and encourage purchasing decisions. This type of lighting can accomplish many things such as:
- Reinforce your brand identity
- Appeal to your target market
- Attract and keep your customers
- Guide them through your store
- Encourage purchasing decisions
LED lighting is now available in any type of lighting you need, from cove to high bay. As well, kits are available so that you can begin conversion on a slim budget using your existing fixtures, and replace them over time with your savings on electricity.
- Display Lighting – Accent lighting is more affordable when LED lamps are used to draw attention to window displays and to featured products within the store. Up lights, down lights, colored lights and special effect lighting can be controlled better with LED lamps and fixtures. They are superior choices for controlling the spill of light and for revealing colors and textures.
- Showcase Illumination – Grocery stores benefit from cool LED lights for refrigerated and frozen food products. For example, Safeway Inc., the supermarket chain, cut its energy consumption by 50% after switching to LED lighting.
Small, LED strip fixtures are perfect to light bakery display cases, or anywhere it is necessary to keep heat at a minimum; white LED spotlights add sparkle and glitter to jewelry showcases.
- LED Exterior Lighting – New LED exterior lighting solutions offer dimming capability, and photo sensors and motion detectors with instant output and no warm-up time. White LED light, geared to the sensitivity of the human eye, provides better illumination for high visibility at longer distances at night with reduced spill to minimize annoyance to neighboring properties. Long-life LED lamps reduce maintenance costs.
Enhanced manufacturing processes and innovation has resulted in LEDs becoming more than twice as efficient as LEDs were only five years ago. As energy costs rise and LED performance improves, it is no longer possible to ignore the benefits of switching. LED lighting technology continues to dazzle us with new and better applications.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Retail Lighting and Design and a clickable link back to this page.