When examining the cost of lighting upgrades, retailers sometimes balk at the expense until they realize the amount of money that can be saved on electricity and maintenance costs, and understand the impact of a retail LED application strategy on shoppers.
Switching from incandescent lighting to low impact diode (LED) lighting is a smart move. If you act soon, you can still take advantage of government and utility rebates to absorb some of the costs of the upgrade, as well as improve your retail sales.
Use LED Lighting for Sizable Savings
Switching from incandescent lighting to new, updated, state-of-the-art LED lighting has an initial cost, but your monthly electrical bill will be astonishingly less—by 70% or more.
- Compact fluorescent lighting (CFL) lamps run on one-third of the electricity used by incandescent lamps, last 10 times longer and produce 25% less heat.
- Light emitting diode (LED) lamps last 10 to 15 times longer than CFLs, use one-thirtieth of the electricity, can handle bumping and jarring well with less breakage, and are mercury-free—unlike CFL’s—which means easier disposal and safer cleanup if broken.
- Outdoor lights and walkway lighting provide safety and security and can be made less expensive with the use of LED lamps.
- Government and utility rebates are available for a limited time (and time is running out!) to help with the initial cost of switching to these energy-efficient lighting choices.
In 2012, the USA government passed a law requiring the replacement of incandescent lighting with energy-saving LED lighting in order to reduce the drain on our natural resources. The deadline for replacing traditional incandescent lights has been extended, but this law will be enforced at some point.
LED Illumination Improves the Shopping Experience
LED lights surpass traditional lighting in all respects including its effect on shoppers:
1. The sensitivity of the human eye to the wavelength of LED lamps, which is different from other lamps, means that LED lamps create better visibility both indoors and out. This creates a safer shopping environment for customers day and night.
- A sense of well-being makes customers more willing to take time to make purchasing choices.
- Shoppers who feel safe and secure spend more time in a store and are more likely to return.
2. Efficient LED low wattage lamps with carefully chosen lumens (brightness), beam spread (angle of light from the fitting), warm whites (impression of intimacy), cool whites (impression of spaciousness) and colored lights (drama) appeal to customers under various conditions and lead to purchasing decisions.
- Cool tones of LED lights reveal true colors much better than incandescent lights that are rich in warm but lack cool tones, and true color identification is an important characteristic appreciated by shoppers.
- Natural lighting combined with accent lighting is important in window displays and low voltage LED recessed and track lighting help attract customers and draw them into the store.
- Distributing and directing LED illumination reveals important features – depth and shape are emphasized with backlighting and texture with wide accent lighting; uplighting creates ghostly shadows for dramatic effect, downlighting focuses attention on featured items, colored hanging lamps create moods and atmosphere that can be designed to boost the appeal of particular merchandise as well appeal to your target market.
It is important to balance aesthetic appeal with energy savings. Retail LED application options are waiting for you. Call us now and we will help you take advantage of eye-catching, attractive lighting solutions with dramatically low operating costs. For more information, contact Lighting Solutions Worldwide: website: www.retaillightinganddesign.com; phone: 866-203-0434; email: email@example.com.