If you’re in charge of the lighting for your stores, chances are you’ve heard someone mention LED lighting. These light fixtures are a major development in the field of lighting and could have the potential to completely reshape how businesses handle their interior lighting designs.
Could LED lighting be right for your store? It’s definitely a possibility as these light fixtures have many advantages over traditional light fixtures. However, LEDs also have some challenging issues that should be considered. Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of LED lighting for retail stores so you can decide if this technology is right for you.
Energy Efficient Lighting through LEDs: as Good as it Gets
One of the biggest advantages of LED light fixtures is that they are extremely energy efficient. When you channel electricity through a light fixture, part of the energy creates light while the rest of the electricity is wasted as heat. Ideally, you want as little electricity as possible going towards heat energy because this means you need more power to get the light levels you want.
Have you ever touched a lit incandescent bulb? Ouch! These fixtures waste so much electricity generating heat. An incandescent light fixture uses 80% of its electricity to generate heat and only 20% to generate light. A LED light fixture on the other hand uses 80% of its electricity to generate light and only 20% is wasted on heat. The result: Your store illuminates with the same level of brightness, but at a fraction of the cost.
LED Lights for Retail Stores Are Hassle-Free Lights
Another expense for your store lighting is its maintenance costs. The idea that nothing lasts forever is very true for regular light fixtures. Lamps break or burn out inconveniently. A substantial reduction in maintenance costs, efforts, and time would be an added benefit of LED lighting.
Unfortunately, the downside of LED lighting is the initial immediate investment required to purchase the product. This can mean spending ten times as much per bulb lamp as incandescent fixtures. While this can be prohibitive, the immense energy and maintenance cost return to you can be the balancing factor. Future savings will occur because LED light fixtures continue drop in price.
LED Lighting for Retail Stores Means Paying Up Front
While LED light fixtures save a significant amount of money in the long-run, they are more expensive to purchase upfront. LED light fixtures cost roughly ten times as much per lamp as incandescent light fixtures. Over time, you will receive a return on your LED investment, save energy and ensure lower maintenance costs. However, at the beginning, this steep price can be a bit hard to swallow. Fortunately, LED light fixtures are getting less expensive each year so this will become a more of a feasible option over time.
The Unknowns of LED Lighting for Retail Stores
Since LED lighting is still a relatively new technology, there are unknowns about the long-term performance about these fixtures. For example, some common questions are:
- Exactly how long will these light fixtures last?
- How much will the price go down in the next few years?
- And are there any design flaws in new light fixtures?
The lighting industry has a pretty good answer to these questions and there do not seem to be any major issues with LED lights. It’s simply that this technology has only been widespread in retail use for a few years, and with any new technology, there are bumps along the way.
As LED lighting technology continues to improve, its advantages will grow while its challenges will diminish. With its revolutionary cost savings, LED lighting should eventually be part of your store’s light design, if not today, then definitely in the near future.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Retail Lighting and Design with a clickable link back to this page.